How to prepare cabbage egusi soup
Enjoy it as main meal or add it to your Rice. It is an African soup enjoyed in Nigeria and other West African Countries.
Delicious Cabbage Egusi Soup
Cabbage Egusi Soup is easy and healthier stew made with cabbage and and meat of choice.
- 1/2 pound diced beef or chicken
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 medium-size chopped onion
- 3 medium-sized chopped tomatoes
- 1 cup ground egusi
- 3 tbsp ground dried shrimp
- 2 cups shredded cabbage
- Boil beef or chicken with 2 1/2 cups water,seasoned with salt, garlic, smoked paprika, pepper, and onions in a saucepan until tender. Remove the beef and set aside stock.
- Heat oil in a heavy saucepan over medium heat.
- Fry cooked beef or chicken for about 4 mins then set aside.
- Add the onions and garlic. Stir in onion and garlic mixture until about 2-3 minutes. Then add the beef and dried shrimp
- Stir in tomatoes. Add 1-2 cups of beef/ chicken stock.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for another 5 minutes
- Add ground egusi and cook on medium-heat for about 6 minutes or more.
- Add stock to desired consistency.
- Stir in cabbage, let it simmer for about 2 minutes or more minutes.
- Adjust seasonings
- Serve warm with plantains, eba and yams.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!