Shito is a popular pepper sauce enjoyed by Ghanaians and other West African countries. It is usually prepared for Senior High School students to send to school.
Shito, also called black chilli pepper sauce is mostly served with Kenkey and Waakye.
If you also want to start a Shito selling business, then this recipe is for you.
In this post, I am going to show:
- how to make shito the easiest way (Full shito recipe)
- tips to preparing a delicious shito
- and many more.
Ingredients for preparing Shito.
- 15 large onions
- 1 cup dried crushed Herrings
- 1 cup dried powdered shrimp
- 15 large fresh pepper
- 3 tablespoons dried pepper powder
- 4 tablespoons of tomato puree
- food seasonings
- Vegetable cooking oil
- Saltshito ingredients
Steps to prepare shito in Ghana.
- Wash and peel off onions, ginger, and garlic
- Chop them into big chunks
- Pour onion chunks into cooking oil in a saucepan under medium heat
- Blend ginger, garlic, and pepper and add to oil. Stir until tender
- Add tomato puree. Stir for 20 minutes
- Continuously stir the mixture until its light brown
- Add powdered shrimps and herring then Stir in seasoning and salt to taste
- Add the dried powdered pepper, nutmeg and Allow simmering on a low heat till the color is dark brown.
- Remove from fire and allow it to cool
- Store in a dry clean bottle with the oil on top of the sauce.
This is spicy and sweet. Enjoy this with varieties of meals. Shito can be served with:
- Plain rice
- Banku and Tilapia
- and a lot more
Other Recipes to Try.