Begun bhaja is a Bengali dish made with eggplant coated in a combination of spices, flour and water. Brinjal which is the eggplant enhances heart health, controls blood sugar and helps with weight loss. Begun bhaja can be fried or oven baked and eaten as a snack or paired with another meal for lunch.
Today, we bring you the pan fried begun bhaja recipe. Enjoy!
1 teaspoon of lemon juice
2 teaspoons of chilli powder
½ teaspoon of turmeric powder
¼ cup of besan (Bengal gram flour)
2 teaspoons of oil
Salt (to taste)
What Begun Bhaja Can Be Served With
Begun bhaja can be enjoyed with khichuri, luchi or dal rice.
- Wash the brinjals or eggplant and slice them thinly into a large bowl. Set aside.
- Put chilli powder, turmeric powder, besan, salt and two tablespoons of water into a bowl.
- Add the brinjal slices to the mixture and mix well. Let the mixture coat the brinjal slices.
- Pour 1 tablespoon of oil into the non-stick pan and heat it.
- Gently put the brinjal slices into the pan and fry each side.
- When it turns golden brown, remove them from the pan and serve.