This is a vegetarian dish with its roots from Bengali. It is made mainly with potatoes, vegetables and spices. The word “Phulkopir” means cauliflower, “Aloo” means potatoes and “Dalna” means light curries. This dish is similar to the North Indian meal known as aloo gobi. Aloo Phulkopir Dalna doesn’t take so much time to make.
In this article, we feature the Aloo Phulkopir Dalna recipe. Enjoy!
1 cauliflower cut into medium sizes
100 grams of potatoes (peeled and cut into cubes)
1 tomato (made into a paste/puree)
¼ cup of green peas
1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
½ teaspoon of cumin powder
3 green chillies
1 teaspoon of grated ginger
2 green cardamoms
1 teaspoon of sugar
½ teaspoons of cumin seeds
2 tablespoons of mustard oil
½ tablespoon of ghee
¼ teaspoon of garam masala
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of coriander powder
1 inch of cinnamon stick
Salt (to taste)
What Aloo Phulkopir Is Served With
This meal is usually served with hot rice or luchi.
- Kadai/deep pan
- Paper towel
- Smear the cauliflower florets in a pinch of salt and turmeric powder.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in a deep pan and fry the cauliflower until they turn golden brown and soft.
- Remove them from the oil and transfer them onto a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add another tablespoon of oil to the pan then put in bay leaves, crushed cardamom, cloves and cinnamon. Let them fizzle.
- Add the cumin seeds when you notice that the spices are releasing their aroma. Stir for about a minute.
- Add the baby potatoes and fry on medium heat till it is almost cooked.
- Add in the tomato paste and a little salt, then stir until the tomato is cooked. Add the grated ginger, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin powder and green chillies. Cook until the oil begins to come from the masala.
- Next, add the cauliflower and green peas. Add some sugar and salt, stir and let it cook for 5 minutes.
- Add one and a half cups of warm water, cover it and cook on medium heat until the potatoes and cauliflower are cooked. It should not overcook.
- Remove from the fire and serve.